Friday, April 23, 2010

Homemade Lotion

First, a warning. Homemade lotion has a much different feel than store bought stuff. When I first started making my own lotion, I was not 100% impressed, but I wanted to give it a good shot before I gave up completely. It seemed really greasy... I discovered is that I need a lot less lotion compared with commercial products. A small dab of homemade stuff is about equivalent to a full pump of commercial stuff. And when I started using less, it was magically less greasy. Anyway, now I am thoroughly addicted to homemade lotion. It just feels so much more natural. It is very softening, and you can customize it to fit your skin type. While Aaron was in the hospital, I ran out of my homemade lotion, and didn't have time to whip up a batch (not that it takes long). I still had a bottle of Curel around, so I just used that for a few days until I had time to make some lotion. I don't think I'll ever run out of homemade lotion again, because I HATED using the Curel. Please keep in mind that I have been using Curel lotion for like 15 years. I loved the stuff before I tried something better. Homemade is better. So you should try it. One batch lasts me about a month, but for other people it may last longer (I'm a bit of a lotion-aholic).

This recipe is a hybrid of a couple of recipes in Better Basics for the Home.

Basic Lotion

2 1/2 ounces almond oil
1 1/2 ounces coconut oil *
1/3 beeswax, grated (if you want really thick lotion, add a little more)
2 ounces aloe vera
2 ounces water
1 Tbsp glycerin
1/3 tsp grapefruit seed extract (GSE)
10 to 25 drops essential oil, if desired (I don't personally desire)

*I like to use deodorized coconut oil for lotion, but only because I love the light beeswax smell. Regular coconut oil covers the beeswax smell up. If you like the coconut scent, or if you are planning to add essential oils for fragrance, it probably won't matter either way.

Melt the oils and beeswax. I don't have a double boiler, so I usually just put my glass measuring cup in a pan of water on the stove. Or I use the microwave. If you use the microwave, do it in 20 second intervals and stir in between. It doesn't take very long.

In another bowl, combine the water, aloe, glycerine, GSE, and essential oils, if using. At this point, I like to let the oils cool a bit before combining. I just find the lotion emulsifies better if the oils aren't piping hot. You can't cool it completely though, or it will solidify. Then you just beat them together with an electric mixer until the mixture is nice and creamy. I doesn't take long, but do make sure it is fully emulsified before you stop beating. If you stop prematurely, your lotion will sweat (i.e. the waters and oils don't stay combined in the jar, and the lotion sort of oozes the waters out). I use jars that hold 1/2 cup, and this recipe fills two jars. Then I do the lotion equivalent of licking out the bowl, which is slathering the leftovers all over my legs. Isn't that a lovely visual in your mind. I bet you wish you had a picture of that...

It took me a couple of tries before I was proficient at this. But don't let me scare you, this is nothing like making cheese, or soap. My first batch or two really sweat a lot. Don't worry if that happens, you can still use it and it is just as effective. It just isn't the perfect consistency. No worries.

In case you are wondering, the GSE is a preservative. You can store this at room temperature. This lotion should have a shelf life of at least four months, but like I say, I go through one batch in about a month. If you think you won't use it that quickly, you can store in the refrigerator to prolong the life.

There are a million variations you can make to customize this, but I think this is a great place to start. I've tried a few different oils, and I really prefer the almond oil for lotion.

Make sure you don't judge homemade lotions prematurely. Get used to it for a while, then I dare you to switch back to store bought stuff. You will hate it!

p.s. What does "manually gifted" mean?

2 comments:

shaunita said...

Now that I'm equipped with a hand mixer and a good recipe, I can finally try making lotion!

P.S. manually gifted came about in the following way. I wanted to say that you are handy and crafty, but i didn't want people to get the wrong idea from the "crafty" statement, since your crafts are usually functional (even when the function is entertaining children). So I opted for "manually gifted" instead. It seemed shorter, though admittedly more confusing :)

shaunita said...

The lotion is wonderful!! I was wondering if I would be able to tell when it was fully emulsified and thick enough. Then it happened, and I knew! :) Thanks for the recipe