Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Love of the loving love

It's cool, it's refreshing, it's purple...I give you the Island smothie.




This is another Runner's World recipe from the March 2010 RW. You know, the one with Kara Goucher on the front...she's the one who took 3rd in the Boston Marathon last year, but only lost by mere 20 seconds to that Kenyan woman...of course you do. She may be a little something of a hero of mine. Just saying.

You will need...
1 cup low-fat peach kefir (not pictured. I used yogurt. Both ingredients work well)
1/4 cup low-fat milk (or soy)
1/2 cup canned crushed pineapple
2 TBS dried coconut
about 1/4-1/2 cup instand oatmeal
3/4 cup frozed raspbarries (I used mixed berries because I had them)

Really you just toss all this together, and I realize I don't need to take pictures of this process because we all no how to combine and blend, but I like to take pictures so you're stuck with me.

Channelling some Pioneer Woman here...
Doesn't that look just lovely? Did you ever think to put oatmeal in your smoothie? I hadn't. You won't even know it's there. And neither will your kids.
OK, here is everything all together (pay no attention to the water spots on my blender.)

But then I thought of one last thing in my fridge that I thought would be nice. Ground Flax. Flax is perfect for smoothies because it generally needs to be ground up to release the omega3 and other nutritional benefits, and your blender does that quite well, so throw some in. This is already ground, but it can't hurt to grind that baby up some more.
Blend away. And if you want to channel your inner Kara Goucher while doing so, well, that's just find by me.
YUMMY! I've made a lot of smooties in my life, but this is by far the most delicious and nutritious. I'd never thought of adding oatmeal or canned pineapple, but it is truely delicious. I'm salivating all over myself just thinking about it. Here's what RW says about this little beauty...

Several studies have linked kefir, a yogutlike drink, with reduced reaction to allergens. And a 2008 Australian study reported that long-distance runners who take a strain of the probiotic lactobacillus (often found in Kefir) every day sufer less severe bouts of respiratory illness. Oats can help cut your risk of heart disease and type II diabetes, while raspberries are rich in the antioxidant quercetin. A small recent study published in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and xercise Metabolism, concluded that daily quercetin suppliments may help increase exercise endurance.
And I'm willing to bet it helps us weekend warriors a tap little extra energy as well. Enjoy!

Next up...A Pasta Pumpking Surprize...and the surprize is that my husband ATE IT!

2 comments:

shaunita said...

thanks for posting this. I think I'll try it out either today or tomorrow. do you have any information on how many calories per serving?

Unknown said...

It actually doesn't, which I found interesting. But I can't imagine It would be too bad. Most of the calories probably come from the yogurt and milk, I would think. And of course you'd want the pineapples to be in their own juice.