Monday, April 12, 2010

Trees and Flowers Casserole

This is a variation on a family favorite. Growing up, chicken-broccoli casserole was my favorite dish. As a teenager, I started having my mom leave me a chicken-free section. Today I had cauliflower and broccoli that needed to be used A.S.A.P., so I came up with this creation. The kids asked for second helpings.

Granted, this isn't the healthiest recipe, but it is definitely healthier than the original, and for me still hits the spot.

Ingredients
1 head of broccoli, chopped
1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1/2 C mayonnaise
2 T lemon juice
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 C milk
2 or 3 T butter
1/2 C bread crumbs
Shredded cheese

Directions
Bring 5 cups of water to a rolling boil in a large saucepan. Add broccoli and cauliflower and cover. Boil for about 4 minutes. Combine soup through curry powder in a medium bowl, then thin with the milk. Melt butter in a separate bowl, then add bread crumbs and stir until combined.

Line the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish with the vegetables. Pour the soup mixture over the top. Sprinkle with cheese, then cover with bread crumbs.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve over rice.

No comments: