Friday, April 9, 2010

Apple Muffins


I no longer have white sugar in my house (well, I technically have some in my emergency food storage, but I'm not planning on using it unless I have to). I've been enjoying coming up with substitutions. This recipe is adapted from a cookbook called Special Foods for Special Kids, by Todd Adelman and Jodi Behrend. I bought this book when I found out my oldest child (10 months old at the time) was highly allergic to egg and dairy. All the standard toddler foods I saw my friends giving their children were not an option for her. I had no idea what to feed her, so I turned to books. I like this particular book because each recipe is given without any adaptations first, then has a guide at the bottom for which substitutions to make for specific allergies. A lot of other resources I found were assuming that the child was allergic to most common allergens, so they contained a lot of weird and expensive ingredients.

Anyway, the point of all that rambling is that I used the original recipe, without any allergy adaptations, but replacing the flour with whole-wheat pastry flour and the sugar with honey. I'll list the egg and dairy substitutions in parentheses for those who are interested.

Ingredients
1 C peeled and diced apples
1/2 T lemon juice
1/4 C honey (could use agave or other sweetener to make this vegan)
2 T brown sugar
1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
1/4 C melted margarine (choose dairy free brand)
3 egg whites (use 1/4 C water mixed with 3 tsp. powdered egg replacer, like Ener-G brand)
1 1/2 C whole-wheat pastry flour
2 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
3/4 t cinnamon

Directions
Toss the diced apples with lemon juice and set aside. Mix honey, brown sugar, and applesauce together. Mix egg and melted butter together, then add to the sugar/applesauce mixture. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to form batter. Add the apples, then put in muffin tins, approx. 2/3 full(lined with cupcake liners, if you wish). Bake at 400 for 18-20 minutes.

No comments: