Saturday, May 1, 2010

Homemade Vanilla Extract

Shelly had the idea to try to make vanilla extract, and since she found a great deal on a big shipment of vanilla beans, she invited me to try it out with her. I used a blend of Tahitian and Madagascar vanilla beans. We bought the cheapest vodka we could find at the liquor store, and it worked just fine. I used this recipe, Shelly tried a different variation.

The results: smell test--this extract smells better than the store bought real vanilla extract (more like vanilla, less like alcohol). It contains about the same quantity of alcohol (35%), but it smells much better.

Taste test--I made cookies using homemade vanilla extract and they tasted great. I should probably try out something where the vanilla has a more prominent flavor, but haven't had the need yet.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I've use my vanilla a couple of times. What I really want to do is make two batches of tapioca pudding to see if I can tell a difference between the homemade and the store bought. I have used the homemade in pudding, and it tasted fine, but I'd love to do a comparison. Now I just need to get the vodka label off the bottle.