Tuesday, March 23, 2010

High-Protein Waffles

I got this recipe out of the March 2010 Runner's World Magazine, which has some fabul-astic recipes for pre-/post-workout meals. But I can testify that they are just as good eaten parked right on the sofa watching TV before bed. Just to add to the versitility here. Seriously, though these would make some great breakfast ideas for kids as they are healthy, filling, and they look like dessert. Which goes a long way, as far as I'm concerned.

First you're going to want to start with some toaster waffles, because ladies, we are all about convenience. If it isn't easy in the morning I don't even want to look at it as a remote breakfast possibility. However, PLEASE do yourself a favor and get whole grain. It not only tastes better (in my humble opinion), but getting the white version could make or break this as a healthy meal. I prefer Vonns brand from Harmons, but Harmons is a bit of a drive for me, so I got these at WalMart, which cost wise is a way better deal.

You will also nead some vanilla yogurt. I try to use soy whenever possible because of a flawed digestive tract, but regular works fine for most un-flawed alimentary canals. Please enjoy your dairy on me...I'm not bitter.

Some frozen berries. Hopefully they look more appealing than this icky-sicky photo of my perfectly-fine-in-real-life berries.

Nuts, if that's your thing.
The rest is not rocket science. (this is breakfast, remember) Place frozen berries on plate. Nuke for 30, stir, nuke for 20-30 more.


Toast waffles according to package directions.
 Place on plate. Do not burn fingers.
Pour yogurt over the top.
 Marvel at how deliciously your creation already looks like waffles topped with whipped cream.
Wipe up drool. (no one likes drool in their breakfast)
Arrange berries in an asthetically pleasing arrangement over yogurt.
Top with nuts (if that's your thing)



Next (and this is the fun part) try to keep it away from your kids by saying things like...no, this is mommy's  breakfast. You have Lucky Charms. (which, of course only makes them want yours more).  And when the whining and reaching and pleading have reached a fevered pitch, you reluctantly hand them a waffle and turn your back to hide your smile as you shuffle away knowing that you just fed your kids a healthy, protein-filled breakfast.
Pat self on back.

You can't resist it, can you...
EAT ME!

Next up I will take more bad photos, and reveal much more about myself than you ever wanted to know while intruducing you to the Island Smoothie.
Mahalo.

3 comments:

shaunita said...

mmmm...drool on the keyboard probably isn't good either. I can't wait to try these. I've added you to the author's list.

EG said...

This looks good!

Darryl said...

We ate this for breakfast this morning. it was as good as it looks.