Saturday, February 7, 2009

Wheat Meat

I finally got up my courage to attempt to make wheat meat (can be used as meat substitute or meat extender). I went to a friend's house so we could at least have fun if the product failed miserably. Turns out it was a lot easier than I thought--especially because I used gluten flour, thus skipping many daunting steps.

Here's the recipe:

2 C gluten flour
1/3 C flour (whole wheat, soy, rice, it doesn't matter)
seasoning (you can add whatever you want here, or wait until later)

mix together well, then add:
1 1/4 C water

Stir about 10 times, or until everything magically comes together.

Form into four balls and place in steamer. Steam for 20-30 minutes. Place in blender or food processor (if you want ground beef-like substitute). You can then bake it, fry it, add it to recipes, etc.

I haven't tasted it yet, because I had leftovers to dispose of last night. Thanks, Angie, for being brave and trying this stuff out with me.

No comments: