Saturday, February 7, 2009

Easy Mac-n-Cheese

One thing that is pretty guaranteed that my little boy Sol will eat is mac-n-cheese. I don't do the box stuff, so here's something I do for an easy and fast lunch. It's somewhat adapted from the Deceptively Delicious cookbook.

Boil some whole wheat pasta (rotini, elbow, or farfalle work well) in water following directions on box. Then I make a sauce by stirring in some cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, milk, and vegetable puree* (usually of winter squash, cauliflower, or pumpkin). Stir into pasta until well mixed and the cheese sauce is the consistency you like. Sorry I can't be more specific, I just do what looks good.

*I just steam/bake the squash/cauliflower/pumpkin and then puree it in my food processor and then freeze the puree in ice cube trays. Then I can put extra veggies in sauces and foods. Right now Sol is a big fan of veggies, but it never hurts to have extra helpings for him or us!

No comments: