Friday, February 13, 2009

Vegetable-Cheese Soup


This is another one of those inventions of necessity. I wanted to make broccoli-cheese or potato-cheese soup, but didn't have all the right ingredients. So I made up my own soup with what I had on hand. Everyone liked it. My 10-month-old loved it so much I froze most of the leftovers in ice cube trays for him.


Ingredients:


1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 potatoes, chopped(what I had on hand--small red variety)
1 head of broccoli, chopped
about 5 C water
4 bullion cubes
1 stick of butter
1/2 C flour
1 1/2 C milk
1-2 C cheese

Directions:

Place chopped veggies in a large pot and cover with water, and add bullion. Boil for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.

In a small/medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and milk and let thicken. Add cheese.

Add cheesey mixture to the veggies in the large pot, and stir.


For baby: puree soup in a small food processor or blender before serving.

No comments: