Friday, November 28, 2008

Goal Updates

The time has come to review my progress on my goals. So here goes:

1. Eat more whole grains. I'm doing very well with this goal. I cook brown rice most of the time (unless I'm in a hurry), make my own whole wheat bread (sometimes I grind my own wheat. I know, I'm a nerd), and use more whole grains in my cooking. I would like to start using whole wheat pasta.

2. Eat more fruits and vegetables. I'm also doing well here. Vegetables and fruits make up a bigger portion of my grocery purchases. I've also been trying to by fruits and veggies when they are in season. I loved eating my own garden grown tomatoes, and while I am a little sad tomato season is over (and that I no longer live in a house with a garden), I would rather eat canned tomatoes and sauces made with in season tomatoes than eat the yucky tomato impostors at the grocery stores now. Two of the best measures of success here come from my daughter. The other day her friend was complaining about how she doesn't like to eat vegetables. My daughter confidently said, "I love vegetables. They help me grow healthy and strong." Also, the other day she snatched broccoli out of my salad and popped it into her mouth with great relish.

3. Eat less meat. I've gone from eating meat (either lunch meat variety or otherwise) about once a day to once every couple of weeks. I usually eat meat when we are eating at someone else's house. I don't purchase meat very often (less than once a month--except I still by deli meat for my husband).

4. Eat less refined sugar. This goal has been the hardest for me by far. I can report some progress, though. I have decided to cut out high fructose corn syrup from my diet, which has eliminated soda products (and thus caffeine) from my diet as well. I try to buy products with molasses, honey, agave, or cane juice instead of sugar. So I am eating refined sugar much less often than before. I still have a ways to go before I am free from my sugar addiction, though. A measure of my success here came before I swore off high fructose corn syrup (it actually aided my decision). I bought a bunch of yogurt from the store because it was on sale. I tried some and couldn't eat it because I could taste the corn syrup. It was way too sweet, and frankly not as tasty as the natural brands I had been purchasing. I decided the extra money for HFCS free yogurt was well spent.

No comments: