Monday, November 17, 2008

Curry Pumpkin Soup


I've been trying new pumpkin recipes to use the pumpkin puree from our Halloween pumpkin. I adapted this recipe from allrecipes.com.
2 tbs. pumpkin seeds (optional--I used a mix of pumpkin and sunflower seeds--for the simple reason that they are stored together in the same mason jar)
2 tbs. butter
3 tbs. all-purpose flour
1/2 tbs. curry (I have a very strong curry powder. If yours is not so strong, or you just like things really spicy, add more)
4 C vegetable broth
1/4 C finely chopped onion
1 tsp. bottled minced garlic
3 1/2 C pumpkin puree (or 1 29 oz. can)
1 can (15 oz) coconut milk
2 tbs. soy sauce
1 tbs. sugar
salt and pepper to taste
the original recipe gives instructions on how to toast the seeds in the oven. I sprayed a skillet with cooking spray, then toasted the seeds for a few minutes that way. If your seeds are fresh from the pumpkin, oven toasting would work better.
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in flour and curry powder until smooth. Cook, stirring, until mixture begins to bubble. Add onion and garlic. Gradually whisk in broth, and cook for about 10 minutes (or until thickened a bit). Stir in pumpkin and coconut milk. Season with soy sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring just to a boil, then remove from heat. Garnish with roasted seeds.
By the way, I resolved the Halloween candy dilemma in the following ways. First of all, we opted to go out for the evening, so we gave out nothing (it's kind of cheating, but it worked). Second, my daughter got sick of trick-or-treating early so she didn't end up with much candy. Third, I bought a toy to trade for her candy. This was a TERRIBLE idea for our family. She hated the idea of anyone (fairy or otherwise) taking her candy. I could see her point of view, so she ended up with the toy AND rationed candy. I won't do that again. Live and learn, right?

No comments: