Sunday, July 19, 2009

Tofu Tacos and Vegan Sour Cream


This recipe (another from my cooking class) got high marks from my husband and I, but the kids rejected it on the grounds that it was too spicy. It is better with corn tortillas, but I just used what I had on hand. I combined the leftover tofu mixture and sour cream, rolled a bit inside a flour tortilla, placed in a casserole dish and covered in enchilada sauce for enchiladas. I think I baked them for 20-30 min. at 350. The kids rejected the enchiladas as well--again, too spicy. My kids do better with curry spice than chili powder spice. Anyway, here is the recipe:
Tofu Tacos (from drmcdougall.com)
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 6-8
Spicy Tofu:
24 ounces firm tofu (not silken)
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
½ teaspoon cayenne
Drain tofu in a colander and press out excess water with paper towels. Cut into ½ inch
cubes. Combine soy sauce, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne
in a large bowl. Add tofu and mix gently. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Place a large non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Add tofu and cook turning
occasionally for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
Cabbage:
4 cups finely shredded cabbage
3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
½ tablespoon lime juice
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
Corn Tortillas
Soften individually on a dry non-stick griddle, or wrap in a towel and heat in the
microwave.
To assemble:
Take a soft corn tortilla, spoon tofu and cabbage down the center, add a bit of aioli and
some hot sauce, if desired, roll up and eat with your fingers.
TASTY TOFU SOUR CREAM or MAYONNAISE
Revised by Janet Hailstone from
OF THESE YE MAY FREELY EAT by Joanne Rachor (cookbook given out at my Healing Diet class)
1 12.3 box soft Mori Nu Tofu
1/3 cup raw cashews (for added creaminess)
1/3 cup water, optional (if needed to blend)
1 lime juiced
1 tsp each of salt onion powder and dill weed
½ tsp garlic powder
Blend all for 2 minutes until very smooth

1 comment:

EG said...

I've already purchased the tofu to try these.