Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Healthy Chocolate Shake


Oxy moron? I think not. I made this for my kids (and a friend of my daughter who was over) while they were busy playing so they couldn't see what I put in it. They all loved it! MWaah hahahhahaha!! (evil chuckle)


Here is the recipe--and don't get freaked out by the beans. You can't tell they're in there.


BETTER BANANA CHOCOLATE SHAKE (makes 5 cups)
By Janet Hailstone, revised from Diet For A New World by John Robbins

¼ cup raw cashews or sunflower seeds
¼ cup cooked, drained black beans
4 pitted dates
1 cup water
1 cup non-dairy milk
2 Tablespoons cocoa, cacao or carob
1 teaspoon pure vanilla (glycerin based or vanilla powder from Dixie Nutrition bulk)
2 frozen bananas (broken into thirds and stored in a Ziploc bag)
1 cup ice

Blend to smooth for about one minute the nuts or seeds, beans, dates and water. With the machine running, slowly add the non-dairy milk, carob powder, and vanilla. Add frozen bananas and blend. Then, add ice and blend briefly. (Long blending melts the shake)

1 comment:

Jennifer Darger said...

Interesting...I think I'll have to try it for Millie because she is such a naughty eater! Anything to trick her into eating something healthy! Side note: Is John Robbins the son of the Robbins in "Baskin Robbins" who realized that ice cream is making everybody fat? I hear he's a health nut now.