Monday, July 21, 2008

Curry and Cookies

I made dinner tonight for a friend who just had a baby. She is allergic to egg and dairy (just like my daughter), so I made her some recipes I found while I was avoiding those foods.
Shauna's Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients
2 stick of dairy free butter, softened (I prefer Nucoa or Earth Balance)
1 C white sugar
1 C brown sugar
8 oz silken tofu (soft) pureed in blender or food processor
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3-4 C flour
6-8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Cream together first five ingredients. Add the next three and mix together. Mix in two to three cups of flour and check the dough. Dough should be sticky enough to form balls, but not stick to your hands. Add more flour if needed. Stir in chocolate chips. Use an ice cream scooper or large spoon to form into balls and place on a cookie sheet or jelly-roll pan (my favorite). Bake for 8-10 minutes, depending on your oven. Cookies should be golden brown on top (see picture above). Cool on a baking rack or somewhere other than the pan you baked them on (they tend to keep cooking and burn or get hard on the bottom if you don't remove them).

These chocolate chip cookies are surprisingly good, unfortunately for me. I had three--so much for eating less refined sugar. The good news is, they are cholesterol free and higher in protein (I think) than "normal" cookies. Someday I'd like to experiment with my recipe and try using agave, raw sugar and/or apple sauce instead of the white and brown sugars. I decided not to tinker with the recipe tonight, since I was giving most of them away.

Masaman Curry for a Crowd (can easily be made vegan, if that is your preference)

1 and 1/2 cans of coconut milk
1 1/2-2T masaman curry paste (depending on how spicy you like it)
1 lb. chicken, cut into big chunks
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
3 T sugar
1 T salt
5-6 red potatoes, washed and cut into big chunks
1 onion, chopped in big chunks
1 C raw, unsalted cashews
1/2 bag baby carrots (assuming you have the same size bag as me. Use your best judgement)

Directions
Heat coconut milk and curry paste in a large pot over medium heat. Mix well. Stir constantly for about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and stir to cover with the curry. Add the next 4 ingredients, cover and stew for 30 min. Add the last 4 ingredients and simmer for another 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are done. Serve with brown rice.

It sounds like a long time to cook, but if you time it right, it's not bad. I started the rice right after I added the chicken (brown rice takes about 45 min. to cook). Then I chopped the vegetables while the chicken was stewing, so I didn't waste so much time. I made the cookies during the last 1/2 hour, so everything was done at about the same time.

This was the first time I'd given my daughter brown rice and she LOVED it! I made the curry mild enough that she liked that as well. And of course, she loved the cookies.

No comments: